Home AOMEI Products Support

Cloned HDD Won't Boot.

edited February 2016 in AOMEI Products Support

Using backupper pro I have tried to clone an old laptop hdd to a new one. The new hdd is exactly the same make & size as the old one, the reason I am cloning is because the old hdd has many bad or corrupt sectors which can't be repaired & caused the laptop to run very slowly.  I am using the full disc clone option. The o/s is Windows 10.

The operation seemed to complete sucessfully but upon fitting the new cloned hdd into the laptop it will not boot up, I get a message saying my pc needs repairing, something about it cannot access the winload.efi file in Windows/system32.

If I put the old hdd back in there is no problem, the laptop boots up ok.

It seems the new cloned hdd is unbootable.

Any ideas how to solve this please?

Comments

• edited February 2016

you could try the command

bcdboot c:\windows

Notes

for the command you need a bootable media (Backupper bootable media is fine*, Windows repair disc is fine), and go into the Windows command shell (*Utilities->command shell or similar in english).

And usually it is drive letter c: . You could verify with dir c: to see that it contains Users, Program Files and Windows.

The command given has additional language options, instead of US-en and this can be changed
    afterwards.

The reason for failure is that the cloned windows boot manager misses its previous c:.

The command fixed similar boot issues every time for me.

Please come back and report.

Optional repair of Recovery Environment

when it boots, from the working windows, try to go into the Recovery enviroment, from the PC Settings -> Update->Recovery (or similar, in english). If that is not possible, or you have not many commands there up to advanced "Restore from System Image", try in an Administrator command window

reagentc /info

reagentc /disable

reagentc /enable

When you see many commands including Restore from System Image (you don't need to do it, just see it is available), Recovery Environment is as fine as it can be.

• edited February 2016

Question: The old HDD is "formatted" as GPT and could it be that the new drive is MBR?

Since the error points to an EFI boot you need GPT. I don't know if the clone process can reformat a wrong partition style. UEFI needs GPT and BIOS needs MBR disks to boot. They can not be mixed. 

In diskmanagement right click on the disk itself, you can read in gray "Convert to MBR" or "Convert to GPT" or goto properties, tab volumes: look at partition style.

If so, delete all partitions in the new drive and convert to  GPT.

• buseng ,Is that ok for you now?

As Johnny says, what is your old HDD and new one? GPT or MBR?

• Hello everyone, I encountered the same issue with booting a cloned disk. I tried various solutions, but the problem turned out to be related to the Basic MBR. Initially, I cloned MBR Disk 0 to MBR Disk 1 and then changed the BIOS boot option to Disk 1. However, when I later cloned Disk 1 back to Disk 0, the BIOS couldn't locate the UEFI of Disk 0.

Finally, I converted Disk 0 to GPT and re-cloned Disk 1 to Disk 0. Voila! The BIOS recognized Disk 0, so I repeated the same process with Disk 1. Now both disks are in GPT format.

Have a good day!