Home Storage Guides, Tricks and Tips

All drives in system image?

I am looking for help regarding making a system image.

Sins Windows 7 I have been using the windows create system image, but after updating to build 1809 in Windows 10, I can't do that anymore, and I have given up on fixing the problem, so I looked on the web and found AOMEI Backupper, and it is working, so that's all good.
But I can't make the image the way I'm used to, and that's why I have come here to ask for help.

When I was using the Windows create system image I could always add another disk to the image, beside the system, in this case, I want to include my E drive, but I can't find that option when using AOEMI System Backup.
Is it not possible or do I have to not use the System Backup but rather the Disk Backup? If I can only do it using Disk Backup it seems like I could potentially mess-up if/ when I need to restore, as it says I need to restore these disks one by one.

How do I go about using AOMEI Backupper when I want another disk saved while using System Backup, so if I ever need to restore, I get it all as it was when I made the backup?

Thanks

/Bureso

Comments

• If you have only C and E besides the hidden system partitions, you can make a disk backup.
    if E is on another physical disk or the main disk has more partitions you don't want to backup, you can make a system backup and a separate partition backup of E.

• Yes, I just deleted the first backup I made, and will try this.

I have a C, D and E drive, C and E are on 2 separate SSD's and the D drive is a HHD drive where I store backup and all other things I want to save.

I was just hoping it was possible to make a system backup just as easy as with Windows.

• @Bureso,
    If you just switched to Win 10 from 7, you do know that the Win 7 imaging is still available???
    Go to Settings, Updates and Security, Backup. You'll see the Win 7 option in the middle of the page.
    If that's what you were using you still can. If it was something else just do what JohnnyboyGo said.
  • @Flyer.

I know, I have used it for years in Windows 10 also, but it's not working now, giving me a error I have spend hours trying to solve (I can't remember the error code, as it's on my other PC) but I simply gave up...

It all happened after I was not able to install a part of a windows update for build 1803, and I read that I should try to manually update to the latest build 1809, and as I wanted that pc to have as little bloat ware, I used this tool Windows10Debloater.ps1 but it may have made unwanted changes, but I'm not sure.

• AOMEI Backupper is a very easy to use backup software and mostly self explaning.
    Anyway, each partition, even System C:, should be saved in separate images.
  • edited October 2020
    @MrPresident, If you expect to be able to boot up your system after restoring your backup then you will need to have several partitions in your backup image (EFI partition, Boot Partition - Drive C, and recovery partition).  Otherwise, your system won't be complete and may not boot.

If you select the Disk Backup option then you can select multiple drives in a single image and selectively restore one or more partitions.  If you are creating a system image of the boot disk you can perform a system backup or a disk backup and both backups will be bootable when restored.  The difference with the disk backup versus the system backup is that you have to specify which partitions to include in the backup.
  • I hope so that the system image will be bootable after restoring. Otherwise AOMEI will be the wrong tool.

I like to support people too. That´s one of the reasons why I´m here and actually it seems that we both are the only one that helps and have communication....