Home AOMEI Products Support

Basic Newbie Questions about Backups for Software & Hardware failure

Bear with me as I am a newbie to this software with a professional version and I am not sure how to use it in the following scenarios.

1.  To protect myself if I lose some files on my current computer due to software failure:

I  need to do regular Disk Backups and then I can either

If Computer Boots to Windows

A  do a complete restore of the Disk Backup to the same computer if computer boots up OR

B  inspect the Disk Backup image using the same computer and select individual files and folders using the inspect image tool and Windows Explorer to copy those to their original location if the computer boots up

If Computer Does Not Boot to Windows

C If the computer will not boot then I use a previously created Bootable Disk (in Tools section) to boot up the computer and then do A or B with a free version of BackUpper OR

D or if the computer will not boot then I use Recovery Environment previously installed (in Tools section) to boot up the computer into BackUpper and then do A or B

2. To protect myself if my computer dies due to hardware failure:

I  need to do regular Disk Backups and then I can either

To Similar computer

A  do a complete restore of a Disk Backup to a similar computer using another license or free version of BackUpper on the new computer

To Dissimilar Computer

C I need to have done System back ups as well previously on the broken computer so I can do a universal restore on the new dissimilar computer to restore programs and system files.  Then I need to do a restore of individual files and folders to get the data (huge work) OR

D I need to have done System back ups as well previously on the broken computer so I can do a universal restore on the new dissimilar computer to restore programs and system files.  Then I need to restore partition(s) which contain the individual files and folders to get the data (or do the partitions contain system files as well which will upset the new computer and not work?).

I may have got some of this wrong but it appears to me that to be fully protected for hardware and software failure all of the following backups need to be regularly:

1. Disk Backups
2. System Backups
3. Partition Backups
4. File Backups? (or covered by 3?)

On a one off basis

1. Create Bootable Media
2. Set up Recovery Environment

Not as simple as I first thought.  Please correct me if I have got anything wrong.

Thank you in advance.

Comments

• @Mancunian, You are right. But, if you have created a disk backup for the system disk, you don't need to create system and partition backups again. Of course, if you individual data disk, you need to use disk backup or partition backup to back up it individually.