Home AOMEI Products Support

Restoring on a PC that doesn't allow CD/USB boot

I've been using the free version of Aomei Backupper for a while now and am pleased with how it backs up.  Recently I acquired a new Dell Optiplex 7090.  As a retired Desktop Support Tech I'm discovering that the latest iteration of Secure Boot BIOS doesn't allow booting from CD/DVD or USB devices and the option to add it has also been removed.  This raises all kinds of issues regarding how to restore a System Backup to a new HD or SSD if the original experiences a total failure.  I seem to recall Aomei mentioning that the paid version has the ability to install a bootable option on the System Drive.  That's a neat trick that might be useful but I presume it is installed on the System Drive and if that's completely blown up and has to be replaced I still can't see how after drive replacement any System Backup could be restored to the new drive.  I expect Aomei is aware of this kind of scenario but I find no mention in the user manual available online.  Can anyone explain the solution to this conundrum?

Comments

• edited June 18
    I understand you want to boot to BU USB, but your UEFI does not have the option.
    If the option to add it is currently grey, there should be another option elsewhere in the UEFI that should allow you to ungrey and unlock the option to add it. Please reply with a screenshot of this UEFI menu. I have never seen a PC that I could not boot a USB drive to. If you are desparate, you could use an external DVD player with Aomei DVD, and then restore from the image.ADI file from your USB drive.
    SecureBoot is a good feature, and that setting should not prevent you from booting to BU USB.
    I understand you have looked in the UEFI settings menu, you can also try the UEFI temporary Boot Menu, and select your BU USB there, for most Dell PCs, that is F12 key.
    "the paid version has the ability to install a bootable option on the System Drive"
    If you want BU Boot option during normal Windows boot, you can use BU > Tools > Recovery Environment. If you want BU Boot option when Windows does not start normally, use BU Recovery Environment integration tool. BU RE can be installed using Partition Assistant. You can use 1, the other, or both.
    If these solutions do not work, you could use Ventoy, the best 3rd party USB creator. Ventoy can boot most PCs that have Secure Boot on.
    Partition Assistant Recovery Environment BU & PA
    https://www.diskpart.com/help/integrate-to-recovery-environment.html
    Backupper WinPE USB:
    https://www.ubackup.com/help/create-bootable-disk.html
    Add custom drivers, such as NVMe, if necessary. Does not work on some Monitors.

• @Supertech, Please try to close Secure Boot, and then boot from WinPE bootable media again.
  • Thanks. Contrary to Dell's documentation the simple answer is to insert a bootable CD/DVD or bootable USB and then when booting up the PC it will appear automatically in the F12 one-time boot menu. No fancy configuration required and closing secure boot not even required... Thanks for leading me to the simple solution. You can close the ticket.
  • edited June 19
    "Thanks for leading me to the simple solution"
    Happy to help. Above, I wrote, "you can also try the UEFI temporary Boot Menu, and select your BU USB there, for most Dell PCs, that is F12 key."
    You are right, my post should be shorter in the future.
  • I have the Dell OptiPlex 7060, 7070, 7080 and 7090 and i have issues booting from an USB drive after pressing F12 and selecting the USB drive with the Windows 11 OS on it.  Do you see your USB drive in the menu selection at all ?
  • @EdT , please redownload the Offiicial Windows 11 USB Media Creation Tool from Microsoft, and create the Windows 11 Installation USB again, then boot again and use F12.
    If you need further help, please reply with a screenshot of the issue.
    Free tool not from Aomei:
  • Thanks for responding but I'm not trying to upgrade to Windows 11.  My issue is resolved.