Home AOMEI Products Support

Help! Aomei Backupper "System Backup" query.

Help please!  I want to create "System Backup" of Windows-10  using "Aomei Backupper Standard". The system internal SSD is showing "GUID (GPT)" partition style, whereas the external SSD is showing "MBR (Master Boot Record)" partition style.   
Question-1. Do I need to convert the external SSD partition style to "GUID (GPT)" from the current "MBR"? If yes, then how?   
Question-2. In future, when I'll replace the current internal system SSD with a newer one, & will restore this "Windows-10 System Backup" (Aomei "System Backup" Image) to that newer internal SSD, then will I need to format that newer empty internal SSD as "GUID (GPT)" manually or the Aomei Backupper will do that automatically during the "System Restore" process?
Help would be much appreciated.. Thanks..    
Tagged:

Comments

• edited July 3
    Thank you Anthony, Aomei Backupper is great software and easy to use.
    1) BU > Backup creates an image file .ADI that you can put anywhere you like, it does not matter what type of disk you store it on.
    2) BU > Restore, please convert your destination disk partition table type MBR / GPT prior to restoring. To convert the partition table type, you could use Diskpart, or Partition Assistant.
    When you convert the partition table type, it will erase the disk.
    If you choose to use BU USB utility, it is usually recommended to format the USB disk as partition table type MBR.
    If you have further questions, please include a screenshot of your disks from PA.
    Backupper WinPE USB:
    https://www.ubackup.com/help/create-bootable-disk.html
    Add custom drivers, such as NVMe, if necessary. Does not work on some Monitors.

Aomei (Win)PE Builder USB:
    https://www.ubackup.com/pe-builder.html
    Best for PCs before 2020, includes Backupper, Partition Assistant, Recuva, 7zip, OSF Mount, CPU-Z, Bootice, DiskMgmt.msc. Supports x64 portable apps. Does not support any additional drivers, such as some internal M.2 NVMe disks.
    Partition Assistant WinPE USB:
    https://www.diskpart.com/help/make-bootable-cd-wizard.html
    Add custom drivers, such as NVMe, if necessary.

• Thanks aiArtisan! I formatted the USB drive to "GPT partition style" & then using "AOMEI Backupper", I created bootable USB drive. But when I'm booting my laptop from that drive, though the "AOMEI Backupper" UI is opening, it's stuck & I'm unable to click on anything, on its UI.   Then for testing, I formatted that same USB drive again to "GPT partition style" & used "EaseUS-ToDo" to create bootable USB drive. Then I booted the same laptop from that USB drive & SUCCEEDED!! The "EaseUS-ToDo" recovery interface (UI) is opening flawlessly & every option is clickable. Then I was even able to select the external SSD from that UI, for restoration of the "backup image" saved on that SSD earlier.   Conclusion : "AOMEI Backupper" is not creating the USB bootable drive "PROPERLY", whereas "EaseUS-ToDo" did it flawlessly.   [My aim here is NOT to defame one software & praise the other one. You can try it yourself on any "HP - WINDOWS-10  laptop" (purchase year - Jul2020), & share your results with us if possible. Thanks!
  • edited July 3
    Thank you for this question. Your first question was about the source disk and destination disk. Your new question is about the USB disk.
    "I formatted the USB drive to "GPT partition style"
    The destination disk is different from the USB utility. The USB utility should be MBR.
    Format the USB disk as MBR, Create the Aomei USB utility and boot again.
  • edited July 4
    Hey aiArtisan, AOMEI Backupper is already converting the USB flash drive to "MBR" automatically while creating the bootable USB drive (I've checked it two times). Still when booting from that USB drive, the AOMEI Backupper's UI opens but it's stuck (no option is clickable at all). Whereas when I created bootabe USB drive using "EaseUS-ToDo", it automatically converted the drive to "GPT", & that drive is working fine..
    [And in fact, I've tested with both "MBR" & "GPT", but the issue is persistent with AOMEI, in both cases].
  • @Rtz3548, " the AOMEI Backupper's UI opens but it's stuck (no option is clickable at all)"--Did you use Wireless mouse or touchpad mouse? If yes, please try to use USB mouse.

• Thank you, Rtz3548, for reporting this issue. I understand you have created a BU USB several times, trying different settings, but it is not yet working.
    Please use Aomei's alternative USB creator, it is actually more powerful than the standard creator, this USB contains both BU & Partition Assistant, and 7 other tools. Before using this alternate USB creator, please format USB as MBR.
    Aomei (Win)PE Builder USB:
    https://www.ubackup.com/pe-builder.html
    Best for PCs before 2020, includes Backupper, Partition Assistant, Recuva, 7zip, OSF Mount, CPU-Z, Bootice, DiskMgmt.msc. Supports x64 portable apps. Does not support any additional drivers, such as some internal M.2 NVMe disks.