Home AOMEI Products Support

Aomei Backupper Standard Free can't start clone

:):| Hello guys,

I downloaded and installed Aomei Backupper Standard Free. After selecting the source and target disk, I click the Start Clone button. But only the window that offers the upgrade to the pro Aomei Backupper edition appears.
I can't clone my hard drive to the ssd. Every time I click the button, the window comes with the offer of the pro Aomei Backupper edition.
At the bottom left there is also a request to enter the license code.
Why does Aomei use such touts to force the paid version?
Or do I do something wrong and the Aomei Backupper Standard works normally?
Please advise you on this.
Thanks in advance.
With kind greetings,
Gilberto 

Comments

• Aoemi Backupper Standard Edition only supports cloning the system disk with the same partition style, such as, cloning GPT disk to GPT disk. If you want to clone GPT disk to MBR or migrate MBR disk to GPT, you would need to upgrade to the professional edition.  It sounds to me like you are attempting a clone operation that is not supported in the standard version.

Perhaps you might want to consider performing a disk backup and then installing your new SSD drive in your machine and booting up on a WinPE Rescue Media.  Then you should be able to restore the backup to your new SSD drive.  After successful completion of the restore operation reboot your machine and you should be running on your new SSD drive.

It is also my understanding that free open source software such as Clonezilla might accomplish the cloning task that you are trying to do. 
  • Hi Vbbritt,

Thanks so much for the help.

Aoemi Backupper Standard Edition only supports cloning the system disk with the same partition style, such as, cloning GPT disk to GPT disk. If you want to clone GPT disk to MBR or migrate MBR disk to GPT, you would need to upgrade to the professional edition. It sounds to me like you are attempting a clone operation that is not supported in the standard version.

Hi vbbritt,

I think you're right. The source disk has a GPT size and the target disk has an MBR partition style. This could therefore be the reason that the "Start clone" button does not want to start. And that I am reminded to buy the pro edition to avoid this obstacle.

I would it never have found out myself. In the meantime, I have converted the target disc to the GPT style. Saturday the new crucial ssdmx500 gb will be delivered,and then I will immediately connect the new ssd to the laptop. I will start the free program Aomei Backupper Standard Free and see what happens.

Then I'll let you know how it ended and what the result is.

Many thanks .

Best regards.

Gilbert

• With MBR you can only have 4 partitions and are limited to 2 TB in space.  So your boot disk (drive C) has to be formatted as a GPT partition to support the 8 partitions that you currently have.  Once you converted the target disk to GPT were you able to perform the disk clone successfully?
  • For info since an upgrade about 10 minutes ago (just when I tried to use the standard edition) it has begun doing this for me , worked yesterday, and I only see the upgrade splash page.  Is this just a 'forced' advert?  I'm not complaining it's brilliant software and it's free so I have no right.

C drive clone to a D drive here used to work

• @Sj200449, Did you mean that AOMEI Backupper free edition ask for an upgrade when you do the disk clone from disk 3 to disk 2?Please check if you are using AOMEI Backupper trial edition? or standard edition?
  • I have the same problem. Trying to clone my 500 gb ssd to a 1tb m.2. Seems like GPT disks are a premium feature?

It seems to be AOMEI backupper Standard I'm using.

But when i click "Start Clone" I get this:

• @Simonsays, AOMEI Backupper Standard Edition supports Disk clone and Partition Clone. But, for system disk clone, AOMEI Backupper standard only supports clone from MBR disk to MBR. 
    You can click Disk Clone of AOMEI Backupper, then check the disk style under disk list.
    If the source is MBR , while target disk is GPT, you can convert the target disk to the same type as the source via Windows Disk Management, and then do the disk clone again. You can press Win+R, then run "diskmgmt.msc" to open windows disk management.
    If you need to clone GPT system disk, please upgrade to the paid edition.
  • So to be clear....
    Last month I made my clone with my old free version. Today I can not because in your update to 6.5.01, you have removed the free feature I was using, correct?
  • @Chester, Yes, the new free version has limited the GPT system disk clone.
  • Can you tell me how to remove my profile completely here?
  • @Chester, "Can you tell me how to remove my profile completely here?"---What mean?
  • I believe what chester is asking is how do I remove my account from this website.
    ---

Your website suggests that disk cloning is possible with the free version. However cloning of GPT to GPT disks is not possible with the free version which is VERY misleading. It seems this changed very recently, perhaps as a response to youtube presenting this software as a free solution (JaysTwoCentz).

I understand that cloning bootable windows disks is one of the major uses for software like this. And it is not an easy feature to implement, so if I could not find a suitable free option, I was willing to pay for it. And I was likely willing to pay for yours (given that I watched a youtube video on how to do it).

However I am so upset that your software added a paywall case, in a way that feels like https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bait-and-switch

I am fine with the idea that cloning a bootable windows partition is not available in a free tool.
    I am fine with having a free tool ask for payment for advanced features 

I am not fine with being told that I can install the software for free and it will work for me only to then be told that my setup (which most modern computers will use) is not supported in the free version and THEN being asked to pay.

Please update your website to make it clear that disk cloning is NO longer available for GPT to GPT disks.
  • Have been using BA Standard for 2/3 years no problems. Suddenly update BA and clone doesn't work unless u upgrade to PRO version.  Solution download version
  • Have been using BA Standard for 2/3 years no problems. Suddenly update BA and clone doesn't work unless u upgrade to PRO version.  Both disks GPT. Solution download version 5.9.0 from FileHorse , install and clone works perfectly.  So nothing to do with GPT etc just forcing u to upgrade.
  • edited June 2021
    could be the version
  • Aomei removed the capability of performing a disc clone from a GPT to a GPT partition on the latest version.  To obtain that capability requires that you purchase the PRO version of their software. 
  • I have the same problem  getting a window after I click start clone, and both my drive are MBR, and it won"t clone my hdd to my ssd.
  • @Bambam66, AOMEI Backupper free edition now doesn't support clone for boot drive. It only can do clone for data disk.
    If you want to clone system disk, please upgrade to Pro edition.
  • So, if you have both the boot partition and your data partition on the same drive then AOMEI will not now clone the disc whether it is MBR or GPT? Is that correct?
    Seems like a good reason not to update to the latest version!