Home AOMEI Products Support

Backup simulation from AOMEI Recovery Console failed (you should check this too)

atiati
edited July 1 in AOMEI Products Support

I tried to restore a system/data backup in a simulation, but unfortunately it was not successful because I use Bitlocker encrypted drives for the AOMEI backup files. Here is my procedure:

First, AOMEI created both a data and a system backup on a separate local, bitlocker protected partition. The system was equipped with the AOMEI boot manager, which I booted from. When I selected the "Restore" option and tried to "Select the image file", I could not open the local bitlocker protected drive that was displayed in a litle explorer window.

Using the AOMEI "Windows Command Prompt" under "Tools", when I tried to switch to local drive, I received a message that this drive is encrypted with Bitlocker, ok - but unlocking it with the command `manage-bde -unlock d:\ -RecoverPassword ###` was also not possible!

It is good that I tested the restore situation, but how should I proceed so that I do not have any problems in an emergency?

Comments

• edited July 1
    Thank you for your Bitlocker question, Ati.
    In 2024, Aomei added BL support for Partition Assistant. PA USB allows you to unlock BL, if you have the password.
    Backupper supports BL for creating backup images, and cloning.
    If you are using BU to create a backup image, or restoring an image, and the image .ADI file is located on a BL partition, you could first log into Windows, go to Settings > Device Security > select partition with BL > Suspend BL. You could also suspend BL from Cmd. BL Suspend does not decrypt BL, it merely pauses it in an unlocked state. Later you can remove the Suspend to relock it. You could also decrypt it ahead of time.
    Backupper and Partition Assistant work well with Microsoft Bitlocker. If your disk has Bitlocker turned on, please print your 48-digit MS Bitlocker Recovery Key onto paper today. If MS Bitlocker detects a change to your disk, it requires your Key, and if you do not have it, you will lose your data forever.
    https://www.thewindowsclub.com/how-to-find-bitlocker-recovery-key-with-key-id-in-windows-11
    Aomei (Win)PE Builder USB:
    https://www.ubackup.com/pe-builder.html
    Best for PCs before 2020, includes Backupper, Partition Assistant, Recuva, 7zip, OSF Mount, CPU-Z, Bootice, DiskMgmt.msc. Supports x64 portable apps. Does not support any additional drivers, such as some internal M.2 NVMe disks.

• OK, are this the right steps to proceed when the system boot failed ?

- Launch AOMEI Backupper recovery environment (should be installed before this case happend)
    - Launch AOMEI Partition Assistant (is part of AOMEI Backupper recovery environment)
    - Find the BitLocker encrypted drive you want to unlock (good to have a compleate backup of the system drive)
    - Right-click the drive and select “Unlock BitLocker”
    - Enter the correct BitLocker recovery key for the backup dirve when prompted (you will need a copy of this code)
    - Once unlocked, the drive will be accessible for recovery operations within AOMEI Backupper

Info : for me this was only a simulation (you should do this - to be able - in case of ...)

ati
  • Please try the Aomei (Win)PE Builder USB utility, and reply with the results.
    Aomei (Win)PE Builder USB:
    https://www.ubackup.com/pe-builder.html
    Best for PCs before 2020, includes Backupper, Partition Assistant, Recuva, 7zip, OSF Mount, CPU-Z, Bootice, DiskMgmt.msc. Supports x64 portable apps. Does not support any additional drivers, such as some internal M.2 NVMe disks.