Home AOMEI Products Support

Confused on System or Disk backup for C drive

Hello!

I'm new to some of the backup types and I'm struggling to understand through the forum and help files which one I need for a specific thing I'm wanting to do.  I currently have several "mirror" backups for specific folders on drives  OTHER than my C drive. These backup to a large external hard drive. 

I now want to make an image backup of my C Drive to the SAME external drive. (I assume I can do that and keep my mirror backups there also.)

Questions
1. Does System Backup OR Disk Backup update without a complete replacing of the backup each time?
2. Which would be best protect my OS C drive in case of drive failure or lost drivers etc. 

Thank you so much!
Nancy Ü

Windows 10
Tagged:

Comments

• edited August 27
    1. For disks or partitions containing the WIndows system, such as a Windows C Partition, it is recommended to use System Backup. If you intend to eventually restore the System Backup image to a dissimilar PC, please include the Universal Restore setting.
    "complete replacing of the backup each time"
    Most users use the Incremental Backup setting, this will only backup the new changes from your source disk; every 6th backup will be a full backup.
    2. For Disks with Windows, use BU > System Backup; Close all applications prior to backup, including Outlook.
    For disks without Windows, you could use BU > Disk Backup.
    Some users keep external disk connected all the time; they could use backup schedule > specific time.
    Some users do not keep external disk connected all the time; they could use backup schedule > USB Insertion setting.
    On your external disk destination, it is usually recommended to use ExFAT as file system. ExFAT is best for data disks, that have no active Windows system running. NTFS filesystem was designed for Windows C Partition; it can also be used for data disks; ExFAT is best for high performance, NTFS is best if there is a rare data recovery situation.
    If you format new file system, it will erase the disk.
    Here is an article on BU > System Backups.

• Thank  you for that clear reply. I had severe ADHD and instructions can be difficult for me to understand. I've copied them to save. 

My external drive is ExFAT. I appreciate the details about that also as I was unaware. 

Have a wonderful rest of your day!
    Nancy Ü