Home AOMEI Products Support

Need to image - BUT, Concerned about these pre-partitions ...

edited November 2015 in AOMEI Products Support

Hi,

I am completely new to Aomei Backupper (and imaging). However, I have done backups for years with NovaStor. I
chose AB, after lots of research, for purposes of OS imaging and backup to both USB's and external HDD's. I plan on  using it on both laptop and desktop computers.  I hope I made the right decision. I 
am wanting to get very serious about imaging, backing up, and system
restoring. Here is my question:

1.)    I have a brand new Dell 3550 i5 laptop.

2.)    I have installed MiniTool Partition Wizard.

3.)    I notice that there are two partitions "before" the main 'C Drive'. (See attachment).  This is the way the laptop arrived. I did not partition these two partitions into the structure of the hard drive.

4.)   
What concerns and/or cautions should I have about creating an image that has the OS partition 'and' these two pre-
partitions for restoring the operating system and a few
software programs back onto the laptop?

5.)    OR - are those two pre-partitions necessary to include in the image?

6.)    Can AB handle this type of an environment?

7.)   
Note that I have my data on a separate partition. I do not want to
include that partition on the OS image for restore purposes; I only want to currently pay attention to just the OS and the two partitions before it.

Below is a screen shot of the partitions that I am talking about.

imagemtpw1.png

Thanks for any guidance and advice,

Dekade

Comments

• edited November 2015

I suggest you do a system backup for everyday use. It will backup your C:\ and what is needed. The partitions in the GPT scheme are described in Wikipedia. One is the EFI partition, one is Microsoft-reserved, and there is another one is Microsoft recovery. Usually C:\ fails for software issues and then a system-backup recovery is in order.

I suggest you use the built-in Windows-7-style backup as a second layer of insurance. It never failed for me. As a third layer do a AOMEIBR disk backup once.

I suggest you data partition backup using file backup (and for file backup, consider EaseUS Free/Home/Workstation it is easier at file, but stay off its system and disk backup)

I used AOMEI recovery for MBR, and used Windows-7 for GPT, and use EaseUS files frequently. Had not yet the chance of needing AEOMEI GPT recovery.

• I have appreciated the replies and advice.

Peter13feb:  - I think you have provided a very nice scenario of protection as well as explanation of the partitions. Interestingly enough I downloaded EaseUS ToDo just a few days ago. I also concur, after studying, to stay away from the system and disk backup.

I am also considering the following from EaseUS. I like the 'sync' software idea. Any opinion from you? https://shopper.mycommerce.com/checkout/cart/view

Thanks again,

Dekade