Home Storage General Discussion

M.2 to M.2 Cloning

My system is a Dell X8950 Desktop running Windows 11 Pro. The system is configured with two 500GB M.2 NVMe SSDs; DISK0 and DISK2.  One M.2 came with the system, and I added one.  I am running AOMEI Backupper 7.2.3.

I’d like to periodically clone my C drive M.2 SSD to the second M.2 as a part of my overall backup and recovery routine.

Under the AOMEI Clone menu, there is System Clone and Disk Clone.  Is one of the options more appropriate for my situation than the other?  Are there advantages to one or the other?  Best practices?

I’d like to understand the options in more depth than I see in the user manuals.  Thanks,

Comments

• @Rjk58923949, System clone will clone running system partitions only. Disk clone will clone all partitions on the disk. But, clone feature doesn't support schedule. You need to run the clone manually every time.
    And, clone will overwrite the destination. Please confirm that there is no important data on the target disk.
    Maybe you can try to use backup feature. It will backup your data to an image file. After that, you can restore data from the backup image file. And, you can set the schedule backup to periodically backup.
  • Thanks, I had come to the conclusion that Disk Clone is what I wanted to perform.  I've tried and it is fast and easy.  An observation.  If you "Disk Clone" the OS disk (DISK0) to DISK2, the default boot disk changes from DISK0 to DISK2 in Boot Manager.  It is easy to miss unless you look for it.  It would be nice if there was a way to control that but I don't see it.
  • @Rjk58923949, After clone, generally, you need to boot into BIOS to modify the boot order manually. Our software doesn't modify the boot order automatically.
  • Admin, now Partition Assistant 10.1 can change UEFI boot order inside of Windows. . .