Home AOMEI Products Support

Backupper did not back up all files

Before I upgraded to Windows to 10 and then 11 (I was on 7 Pro 64-bit previously,) I did several full disk backups of my OS drive to make sure I could recover data.  I have mounted the disk image to explore it so I can copy out some needed files from the Users\AppData\Roaming folder and none of the folders are there that WERE there before the upgrade. I encountered the same problem as others with the mounted drive not being explorable until I saw a post answered by @JohnnyboyGo about Q-dir.  Running Q-dir as admin is what worked to explore the image.

I also verified that it did not back up the disk properly by using the recovery environment to restore the drive, and then the drive would not boot.  In fact, even the BIOS said there were no bootable drives on my system. Quite frustrated at this point and have now lost faith that this program will actually protect and allow me to restore my drives and data.

Comments

• edited January 20
    Thank you Icefloe, I understand you created a backup, and when you explored, not all of the data was there, I am sorry this happened. After you make a backup, you can always perform a Checksum by manually clicking Check Image, or you can tell it to do that automatically with the Check Image setting, when you are creating a backup.
  • @Icefloe01, Which files did you check that were not backed up? Please check if Vss excludes them. Please check the registry: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\BackupRestore\FilesNotToSnapshot
    " the drive would not boot"---Did you restore to the original disk? or a new disk? Please try to create and boot the computer from Winpe Media of AOMEI Backupper, and then delete all partitions on the disk, then do the restore again.