Home AOMEI Products Support

Restore from a Aomei Disk backup to create a windows SSD drive

I have a 2TB SSD Drive that I just created with a Windows 11 media usb drive. Now, I want to restore the data from my AOEMI disk backup to it.  When doing the restore, I select the C partition of the disk backup and restore it to the C partition of my SSD drive.  After I do the restore, my laptop will no longer boot up.  It is like the data from the Backup is corrupting something with Windows.  I made the backup as a regular disk backup of my original SSD drive.  Probably should have done a system backup but unfortunately I did not.  Is there any way to get the data from the data partition of my back to the SSD drive  without corrupting my Windows installation on the SSD Drive? 

Comments

• edited January 24
    Hello CMC, thank you for this question. I understand you have a 2TB SSD, and you want to restore your old Windows onto it.
    "After I do the restore, my laptop will no longer boot up"
    Yes, that is correct. If anyone took a disk with Windows on it, and overwrote the C partition with a C partition from a different disk, it will not boot on it's own, it is not designed to do that.
    "I want to restore the data from my AOEMI disk backup"
    Backupper allows you to create a disk, system, partition backup types. Could you please confirm that you are sure that the backup type you are restoring from is a disk backup?
    If you are restoring from a disk backup, you could easily restore the entire disk backup to your target disk, then Windows should boot. Restoring a disk or system backup will erase all existing data on the target disk.
    If you are restoring from a partition backup, then you will only have the C partition in your backup image. If that is the case, then reply and I can assist you to repair your Windows startup.
    "I want to restore the data"
    Do you mean you want to copy the files from the backup image? Do you mean you want to restore your old Windows installation and boot from it? Please elaborate.
    Please post a screenshot of your backup image partitions, and also of Diskpart > lis dis > sel dis # > det dis > lis par > lis vol
    Thank you.

• Hello CMC, thank you for this question. I understand you have a 2TB SSD, and you want to restore your old Windows onto it.

"After I do the restore, my laptop will no longer boot up"
    Yes, that is correct. If anyone took a disk with Windows on it, and overwrote the C partition with a C partition from a different disk, it will not boot on it's own, it is not designed to do that.

"I want to restore the data from my AOEMI disk backup"
    Backupper allows you to create a disk, system, partition backup types. Could you please confirm that you are sure that the backup type you are restoring from is a disk backup?
    If you are restoring from a disk backup, you could easily restore the entire disk backup to your target disk, then Windows should boot. Restoring a disk or system backup will erase all existing data on the target disk.
    If you are restoring from a partition backup, then you will only have the C partition in your backup image. If that is the case, then reply and I can assist you to repair your Windows startup.

I created a "disk Backup of the SSD drive.

"I want to restore the data"
    Do you mean you want to copy the files from the backup image? Do you mean you want to restore your old Windows installation and boot from it? Please elaborate.

What I really want to do is to restore the backup image which has the old windows installation and the data.    

The SSD Drive on the computer was initialized by a repair company when it fixed a keyboard issue so it has a new windows installation with none of my data.  

The first thing I did was use Restore --> Select an Image feature on AOMEI BK.  I selected the image below to restore from.

Then I selected the SSD disk to restore to.  I checked SSD Alignment box and began the restore.  The system said it had to restart the laptop and then it began the restore.  When it was done, I booted the laptop up and it gave me a blue screen that said I had to repair the drive.  Basically it would not boot. 

I took the drive out and used my desktop to see what was on it and it did not have the normal "Healthy (Boot, Page File, Crash dump, etc" wording for the C drive.   It had "Healthy (Basic Data Partition)".  

That led me to think that the Image file I used was not a TRUE windows installation image. Then I tried to create a new Windows image on the drive and just restore the C: partition which did not work either.

Obviously, I must be doing something wrong, but I really don't know what else to try.

Please post a screenshot of your backup image partitions, and also of Diskpart > lis dis > sel dis # > det dis > lis par > lis vol

Doing a Diskpart on the SSD drive now will only show you a drive that has a new windows installation on it.  But here it is:  Disk 1 should be the C drive and Disk 0 will be my D drive once I restore it.  Disk 1 does not currently have any of my data.  Just a fresh windows installation.

Steps I have tried:
    I have tried formatting the SSD drive first using another computer and then restoring the image.
    I have tried putting a new windows installation on the SSD drive in the original laptop and then restoring the image.
    I have tried putting a new windows installation on the SSD drive in the original laptop and then restoring the C partition only to it.

None of those options render a drive that is bootable. I appreciate any guidance/steps on how to do this that will result in a SSD drive that will have my original image on it and will boot the laptop.

Thank you.
  • Thank you CMC, we know this is frustrating.
    If you don't double paste your text, there will be less to scroll through.
    PC1 - computer you are fixing
    PC2 - computer that is working well, that you are not fixing
    When you originally made the backup image, what PC was it from?
  • I connected my external storage device to my laptop PC1 and backed up both the C drive and the D drive.
  • Just to note, I have only done the backup on PC1 and the only issue with the PC1 was a few keys that needed repairing.  The rest of the computer was fine.
  • I was able to do the restore and get it to work.  I actually had to remove the SSD drive from my laptop and do the restore as an external SSD card on my desktop and everything worked.  Thanks for attempting to help me out.  Issue resolved.
  • edited January 25
    Backupper WinPE USB:
    Add custom drivers, such as NVMe, if necessary. Does not work with some monitors.
    https://www.ubackup.com/help/create-bootable-disk.html

• @Cmcgrath61, "What I really want to do is to restore the backup image which has the old windows installation and the data. "----The old windows is also Win11? Did you create the disk backup when the old system was running?
    And, it is an OEM system?